Thursday, June 3, 2010

talk to literacy volunteers

On Tuesday morning, I gave a talk at the Jewish Federation of Northeastern NY. I was speaking to a roomful of literacy volunteers. It was a wonderful experience. The volunteers are devoted to helping children who experience difficulties in reading. They will spend time in any local elementary school that need their help.
The whole group made me feel so special. When life becomes a bit roomier, I will consider joining them. This is definitely a cause I would embrace wholeheartedly!
My main theme during the talk was that learning to read is insufficient without the enjoyment of reading. I believe children's books can help build a life-long joy in reading.
Thank you to Shelly Shapiro (extreme right on picture) who is a truly dedicated person. Shelly showed me around the heart-braking and extraordinary Holocaust Memorial Center that she is also in charge of.

No comments: